This is the first in a series of “Biggest Blunders” articles I’m posting about avoiding key mistakes when it comes to getting what you want and achieving your biggest goals. To begin the series, I’m going to make a shocking statement:
Don’t spend your money on coaching!
You heard me right…
Mistake #1: Buying coaching
This may strike you as odd—with me being a coach and all. But that’s what qualifies me to make such a statement.
As someone who has coached very successful entrepreneurs, busy professionals, writers & filmmakers, and stay-at-home moms, I can tell you that I wouldn’t spend a dime on coaching.
BUT… here’s a list of things I would personally (and very happily) spend my money on:
- Doubling my business in 6 months
- Attracting a wonderful woman into my life as my romantic partner
- Getting “6-pack abs”
- Simplifying my life to eliminate physical and mental clutter
- Learning how to achieve deeper and deeper states of meditation and quiet my mind
- Taking my favorite hobbies (like yoga) to the next level
- Learning how to cook nutritious and delicious food that’s easy to prepare
You probably have a similar list of the kinds of results that you want in your life. And some of those goals are probably important enough for you to spend money on so you can achieve them, right?
Well, here’s my expert advice:
Never spend money on coaching—spend money on getting results.
Better yet, spend money getting the results that are most important to you so you can make your life richer and more rewarding.
Coaching is not bad. But the kind of coaching you get can be, especially when you haven’t first figured out what’s most important to you.
Done right and with a clear objective, coaching is still the most reliable and efficient way to help people achieve greater results.
Don’t believe me? Ask those who are the very best in their field how important coaching is to their success. Every super-successful athlete or business person or super-mom has key people in their lives—oftentimes, coaches—who help them break through obstacles and achieve incredible things. Sometimes it’s a parent or spouse…sometimes it’s a mentor…or sometimes it’s a “success partner” they hired (a tutor, a coach, a trainer, etc.).
But here’s the key distinction: These successful achievers aren’t paying money for coaching. They’re paying for results! And if they don’t get what they want, they move on very quickly and find someone else who can deliver results.
When we get clear on the results we want—and have a coach that understands his/her role in helping us achieve our goals—what can happen?
Here are some examples of results my one-on-one coaching clients wanted in their lives—and got:
- A business coaching client of mine is an entrepreneur who wanted $10,000 in new sales in 90 days. Instead, he sold $14,000 in contracts in that time!
- A life coaching client wanted to lose 30 lbs in one year. He lost 32 lbs in just 9 months—achieving his lowest weight in 10 years—and he’s kept it off!
- Another business coaching client wanted more customers. Together, we more than doubled her clientele (from 80 to 195 clients)!
- And another life coaching client wanted to eliminate her $15,000 debt. In just two years, she was not only debt-free but she’d saved an additional $20,000!
For these people, it was easy to make the decision to hire a coach…once they were clear on the results they wanted. Clarity made it easy to choose coaching as the best path to their goal—beyond their goal, in fact!
Coaching is the “how,” not the “what.”
People who aren’t clear on the “what” hire a coach too soon, and then get discouraged or disillusioned. Many even jump to the mistaken conclusion that “coaching is useless.” And then when they do get clear on what they want, they miss out on success because they don’t hire a coach who can guide them to their goal.
So knowing how important a coach can be to your success, are you ready to spend your money on coaching?
No! That was a trick question! Remember, you do not spend money on coaching. You spend money on getting results!
As long as you remember that one rule, you’re ready to move on and ask yourself two important questions:
- What results do I want?
- What are those results worth to me?
If the results you want are worth paying for, then start looking for a coach. I guarantee there’s a coach out there who has a track record of helping people just like you get the results you want!
Got it? Good. 🙂
What do you want, and how important is it to you?
If you’re not clear on the answer to that question, or if you are clear and want to find out how to get results faster and easier than you think is possible, then it’s time to get AMP’d!
Contact me for a free Action|Momentum|Power Strategy Session. By the end of this 30-minute session you’ll have:
- A clear, written description of your top goal/results
- A 3-stage plan for achieving them
- A new awareness of the hidden challenges that slow you down or sabotage your progress
- A deep understanding of why your goals are important to you, so you can always generate the energy and motivation needed for success
These sessions are first-come first-served, so don’t wait. Click here to schedule your Strategy Session right now, and make your most important goal a reality.